Monday, November 16, 2009

Relentless Love

'It takes an army'…or devoted people. But, I think I’m realizing, it really does just start with a willing heart. And, I’ve seen it ALL, in the last two weeks. You know that drawer in your house…the one that keeps the stapler/thumbtacks/babysitters phone numbers/tape/scissors/lip gloss/gum/spatula/quarters… The Junk Drawer. Well, that’s what Evelyn’s old room, her nursery, looked like. A junk drawer. For months I have wanted to have a yard sale with proceeds going to the Pregnancy Center. Early this year, I moved both the girls into one room so that I’d have a room strictly devoted to collecting loot, to sell. And, it became a hairy, mammoth beast. I could almost hear it snarl at me when I walked down the hall.

Our Monday night bible study group is amazing. We are learning SO much.

Love. God’s love. God IS love. Crazy relentless, all-powerful love. We have been examining ourselves. We, as a group heard, ‘What is God calling ME to do?’

Fast forward two weeks. We, as a group, had the Yard Sale, of ALL Yard Sales! It BLEW us all out of the water. There are only 14 of us in this bible study. But the 14 of us and all of our friends poured our hearts and souls into making money to save babies from being aborted.

We together collected about 1 million pounds of loot. We set up on Friday for 9 ½ hours. We had 28 heaping-full tables and three racks overflowing with items to sell.

Saturday morning, 18 of us were there at 4:30AM.

The yard-sale-pros arrived right after us, with FLASHLIGHTS looking…

People that I do not even know showed up Friday night to help us get ready. And then there were the people that I do know. Friends, who had a lot of other things that they could have been doing on a Friday night, rather than sorting through garbage bags full of someone else’s purses, shoes, shirts and pants. But they were there, with the most sincerely Christ-like and eager, helpful hearts.


Some of the army of workers…sorry it’s a little fuzzy.
You can’t see their angel wings.

One of my top-top favorite stories in the bible is the story of the sick, paralyzed man in Capernaum. All he wanted was to see Jesus. He KNEW that Jesus would heal him. He’d spent his entire life on a mat, paralyzed. His friends too, wanted him to see Jesus.

Some men came carrying a paralytic on a mat and tried to take him into the house to lay him before Jesus. When they could not find a way to do this because of the crowd, they went up on the roof and lowered him on his mat through the tiles into the middle of the crowd, right in front of Jesus. When Jesus saw THEIR faith, he said, ‘Friend, your sins are forgiven.’ …’He said to the paralyzed man, “I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.” Immediately he stood up in front of them, took what he had been lying on and went home praising God. Everyone was amazed and gave praise to God. They were filled with awe and said, “We have seen remarkable things today”.
Luke 5:18-20, 25-26


This story makes me so happy that I want to cry, every time.

And, I want to laugh when I think about these zillions of people crowded in a small house. Squeezed in super-tight, so they could hear Jesus. Probably, spilling out the door, huddled around windows.

All of a sudden, the roof starts to crumble just a little, then more. Pieces of the ceiling are falling on everyone’s head. The people are probably like ‘WHAT?’ But they keep listening to Jesus. Then, slowly, carefully, here comes this man through the ceiling! His friends lower him right into the middle of things, directly in front of Jesus.

His friends. I love his friends. I want to be like them.

It took all four. One on each corner. That sweet paralyzed man would have tipped right over if there had only been 3 friends. And with 2, they physically couldn’t have done it.

Here’s the clincher. The bible says, ‘When Jesus saw THEIR faith.’ THEIR faith.

Not the paralyzed guy’s faith. But THEIR faith. It was then, and only then, that he healed the man.

THEIR faith.

OUR faith.

That was what I have seen these last two weeks. We have all been holding onto this mat. My friends, Brian and I each holding on a corner. Knowing that we could never do it alone. But together, we can.

For God’s glory.

To save babies from being aborted.











So.
You interested in the GRAND TOTAL
from the Yard Sale ?

$4200!!!