Wednesday, October 03, 2012

10 Ways to be a Happier Mom

Why Minnesota?

Every once in a blue moon, you meet a true best friend. But in our family's case, each of my girls has a best friend. And all of their best friends fall in one family. And even us, the Mama's, are besties. 

Their Dad is on a project in Minnesota, so they moved this past summer. We started school, Mom died, time has evaporated. 

Three months have passed. 

I asked Brian if we could go see them. 

He said, 'You want to take all four girls on a plane to Minnesota? By yourself? Don't you want to leave one or two here?'

'All of them.' 

He smiled.

Plane tickets were booked. All was set. 

Mom died. 

Her funeral was the week we were to be in Minnesota. 

Broken little hearts. 
Rescheduled flights. 
One month later. 

Fall break in Minnesota. 

Yes, if you wondered, it was a GARGANTUAN amount of effort traveling with four little girls. But the girls were so sweet. Minus the incredibly insane 2 year old. 

And God went before us and sent angels along the way. 

Business men who lifted a bag here or there. A couple from Raleigh who love Jesus and pushed the stroller from the bus to the ticket counter for me. A mother of two, on a business trip, who helped me get my bag under the 50 lb limit. A gate agent who looked at my very full hands and let us board early. A kind faced business man in first class who smiled and proclaimed that I deserve an award. A flight attendant who multiple times walked a tiny-bladdered daughter to the bathroom during the flight. A happy man who played peek-a-boo from the seat behind a certain two year old to keep her entertained. Two business men who switched seats with my girls so my girls and I could all sit together. A grandmother who looked so kindly at me asking if she could hold one of the girl's hands and we walked to the bathroom. 

We arrived at the airport. She texted me that they had arrived. 
'Where are they Mama?'
'Do you think they are here?'
'Yes, I know they are here.'

We are walking. Moments pass. 

Then we see them. Off in the distance. Far away. 
They start to run. We start to run. 
Toward one another. 
Running. Squealing. Delight. 
I feel my face get hot. Not from embarrassment, but sheer delight. 

BFF's Reunite.



Within minutes, they all wrapped their arms around each other so happy to be together.

Day 1
I had read her blog. She said it was beautiful. But, nothing could have prepared me. It's unbelievably GORGEOUS. 











                         
                        It's Fall Y'all
















10
Ways to be a Happier Mom







1. Life is not an emergency.

Life is a gift. Just. Slow. Down.


 2. Shower the ones you love...with love.

A note scratched on the back of used paper, snail mail, a hug, a hand to hold or shoulder to cry on. 



 3. Sometimes the fastest way to real JOY... is slow.

Make time everyday, to read Scripture and memorize it. 

 4. Laughter is the cheapest, holiest medicine.
Preschoolers laugh 300 times a day. Aim for that. 

 5. Motherhood is a hallowed place because children aren’t commonplace.

Never forget that laboring over the sculpting of souls is a 

sacred vocation, a humbling privilege.


 6. Homemaking is about making a home, not about making perfection.



7. Focus on the positive.

Keep your eyes on the donut, not the hole in the middle.


 8. Believe it: I have all I need for today.
The needs of our day are great but our God is greater. He is 

the One who always provides. 

 9. Slow. Children at play.

The hurry hurts the kids.

God’s Word never says Hurry Up. God words only whisper: 

Wake Up.



10. Love is patient.







































(List adapted from one that I like, with my extras thrown in.)


3 comments:

Kaylee said...

Such a gorgeous post! Prayers for safe travels!

Erin said...

I LOVE it Jennie! And needed it tonight-the gentle admonition to be SLOW. With a toddler and a newborn I feel like I am racing from meeting one need to the next. I don't want to race! Thanks for the great post and looking forward to John 4!!

Allison said...

Thank you for your gentle reminders! I know you don't know me, but I have been reading your blog for awhile now & truly appreciate every word you write. I admire your faith & I thank you for sharing God's love through your blog. :)
-Allison