Monday, November 17, 2008

God's prayers and a little Huddini

If you are like me, I pray for my children. But to really PRAY FOR MY CHILDREN using God's word. . . Ahhhhhh. That is sweet music to God's big ears. I recently found 7 beautiful prayers that you have to see. Print them. I put mine in a plastic page protector like we used to put book reports in. Then I can carry it with me everywhere; to the kitchen, the bedroom, even when the girls are in the bath.
.
I just recently hosted a baby shower for two awesome girls. There were 24 of us. We prayed and prayed and prayed for their precious unborn babies. What incredible minutes/hours? How long did we pray? I have no idea, but it was a slice of heaven for all the Mama's that were there. Literally. I will post those prayers soon too. But I am dying for everyone to have a copy of these 7 prayers. I am LOVING THEM. If you have a hard time pulling them off of my blog to print them just let me know and I can email them to you.

1. When they wake up: "Let the morning bring (child's name) word of your unfailing love, for she has put her trust in You. Show (her/him) the way (she/he) should go, for to you (he/she) lifts up her soul." (Adapted from Psalm 143:8)
.
2. When they are getting dressed: "Therefore, as God's chosen child, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Lord, help (him/her) bear with others and forgive whatever grievances (he/she) has against others. Help (him/her) forgive as the Lord forgave (him/her). And over all these virtues, help (him/her) put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." (Adapted from Colossians 3:12-14)

.
3. While they are eating: "Teach (child's name) the secret of being content in any and every situation whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. Teach (him/her) that (he/she) can do everything through him who gives (him/her) strength." (Adapted from Philippians 4:12-13)

.
4. When they go out of the house: "(Name of child), do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-His good, pleasing and perfect will." (Adapted from Romans 12:2)

.
5. While they are taking a bath: Lord, give (name of child) clean hands and a pure heart, and let (him/her) not lift (his/her) soul to an idol or swear by what is false. Let (him/her) receive blessing from the Lord and vindication from God (his/her) Savior. Let (him/her) be part of the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, O God of Jacob. (Adapted from Psalm 24:4-6)

.
6. When they are going to bed: "The Lord Your God is with you; he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, be will rejoice over you with singing." (Zephaniah 3:17)

.
7. While they are sleeping: "I pray that (name of child) will do everything without complaining or arguing, so that he/she may become blameless and pure, a child of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which he/she shines like a star in the universe as he/she holds out the word of life-in order that he/she may boast on the day of Christ that he/she did not run or labor for nothing." (Adapted from Philippians 2:14-16)

Evelyn, aka Huddini,
takes super-great-joy in watching Brian and I run to rescue her from burning buildings, gate-jail busts, and her latest favorite sky-diving off of her high chair.
This gate happens to be at the top of our mile high stairs.
(I have fallen down these stairs - twice. They are super steep.)

Before viewing these pictures just know.
This is typical Evelyn.
She IS Huddini.
And she is fearless.
Well almost.
When Carlisle, Brian and I were at Disney, Evelyn was at her grandparents. So we asked Carlisle to pick out one gift to bring back to Evelyn. Carlisle picked Squirt from Finding Nemo. If you have kids, he is the darling, super excited baby turtle. Crush's son. Anyway. Evelyn is SOOOOO afraid of him. HILARIOUS. She points at him and grunts.
I know my daughter. Thus far, she is afraid of NOTHING on the planet. . . .Except this stuffed baby turtle.Huddini has almost made it through the gap in the gate.Brian says that if she fell down our stairs, she would definitely die.
So, we rigged the gate so that she wouldn't try to Huddini out of it anymore.With a little help from
the "scary" baby turtle.
(Doesn't he look scary?)
Can you hear her grunting at him?
It worked.
She won't go near him, or the gate.
Huddini was foiled by a sweet face baby turtle.
Brian and I won (for now).

8 comments:

Aron said...

Jennie, thank you for sharing this prayer! What an AWESOME way to pray for our babies throughout the day. Thank you, Thank you!!!

And as for Evelyn...that's HILARIOUS!

gillian said...

That is so funny!!!

Paul fell down my mom's stairs (carrying Owen) the day we closed and moved in our new house!

If I haven't told you this already, that was the sweetest baby shower I have ever been to! You put so much thought into praying for those precious babies, and for all the mommas to have a copy of Angie's awesome 7 prayers a day for themselves!

O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago.
Isaiah 25:1

Emily Hicks said...

Jennie,
Please email me the prayers. ehicks@websterrogers.com I am constantly praying for my kids but to have God's word - oh how we need that. Luke and Evelyn are so much alike. Fearless stunt devils, yet afraid of the craziest stuff.

Megan N. Walkup said...

Thank you for the prayers. I will deff. have to forward those on to my sister and all the other little Momma's in my life. As for Evie she is hilarious. Who would have thought that a precious little turtle would have kept her affraid and safe all at the same time. Hopefully he will continue to work for her and you guys.

Julie and Luke said...

I love that she is afraid of the turtle! Whos idea was that to strap him to the gate? Perfect idea!

Chris, Anna and Ava said...

This is one of the FUNNIEST things I have read all year! I love that Huddini can still be fooled! (Makes you wonder what you will do when she gets older?!#*)The prayer post "Rocks" as well! Thanks for sharing so much of your life with all of us! God is Good! We need to get together..next time you are in Columbia give us a call. Remind me to tell you the Ava's head getting stuck story! CRAZY!!! XOXO to you and your beautiful family!

Megan's Munchkins said...

such smart parents!! who would have thought a sweet stuffed turtle would deter a houdini?? GOOD thinkin!!

Alicia said...

You'll never be able to take your precious girl to SeaWorld!!! If she was going to pick an animal to be afraid of, she could've chosen something faster with actual teeth?!?!!?