Monday, April 27, 2009

I had a spiritual appointment this weekend.

God sent me to Chicago. It was basically a mission trip.
Without the organization of a church sending me.
And I didn't leave the country.

A friend that I love with all of my heart was in need.
More to come on that....
+ + + + + +
Brian and I have been reading "Crazy Love"
by Francis Chan.
You are nuts if you don't run out and buy it.
Julie have you gotten it, yet?!?
I have finished and passed it along to a friend. (Shelly, you are next after Sara)

Ummm...if I sound incredibly overboard....I am.
It is so captivating, encouraging and downright convicting. I hate to sound melodramatic and say life-changing. But I think it is just that.

+ + + + + +

Jesus was a fisherman.
Fishing is mentioned all throughout the bible.
He used examples of fish even throughout the gospels.
There's Jonah and the great fish. I need to post a video of Carlisle telling about that.
The little boy and the 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish.

Then there's this one...you may know it. Luke chapter 5.

Big crowd. Jesus there. Preaching.
He saw two boats at the edge of the lake. The fishermen were done. Washing their nets.
Jesus gets into one of the boats, sits down and began to teach.

"When he had finished speaking, He said to Simon, 'Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.'
Simon answered and said, 'Master, we worked hard all night and caught nothing, but I will do as You say and let down the nets."

When they did this, they caught so many fish that the nets began to break. They filled both boats so full that the boats began to sink!
The amazement and reality of the situation blew away all of the fisher dudes.
And when they got back to the land, 'they left everything and followed Jesus.'

Call me crazy...but I think that means we are supposed to leave everything and follow Jesus.
Compared to Jesus, everything else is unimportant.
In Matthew 16:24-25, Jesus says, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it."

Got it Lord, that's how I need to hear it.
Straight forward. To the point.
Incase he wasn't clear in those verses, check out this one.

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
Matthew 7:14

Lord, I want the NARROW ROAD!

Brian, this is a celebration of the big fish that you caught this past weekend. 50-something pounds. It wasn't the one that swallowed Jonah, sorry Carlisle. Maybe it was that one's little cousin? Caught in the ocean, off the coast of SC.

This picture is prior to the fish poopie-ing on Brian. Notice the subtle difference in that picture and the next shot...
After.
No shirt. Sweet Brian is still smiling.
A fisherman to his core.
And those abs...makes this aerobics instructor so happy!

Brian and I want to be the girl and guy trainers on the show The Biggest Loser.
Except.
The girl trainer totally scares me.
She could thump me and I'd fall over.

3 comments:

gillian said...

What a blessing you are to your friend in Chicago! So wonderful that you were able to do that! Loving your posts lately girl, He is certainly doing a mighty work in you!

Courtney said...

what an encouragement. thanks for this blog. and for being so vocal about all that God's doing in your life. i want the NARROW ROAD, too and I'm so thankful we're all walking this journey together, challenging each other, sharpening each other, seeking that narrow road together. you spur me on, friend!

The Severances said...

So great to hear your heart and all that Jesus is doing. Can't wait to talk and learn more.
And that is one mamma jamma fish. Way to go, Brian.
Very thankful for you, Jennie.