Monday, August 24, 2009

Utter Bliss and the 14-week Tummy

I could totally kick myself. Over two years ago, I heard the name Bliss from my friend Tami, as a first name for a baby girl. I just loved it. It was a little...um...out there. And I loved that too.
.
BUT, my concerns...what if she comes out and is a total serious-girl. Or not blissful. Or doesn't even like to smile. So we didn't name her Bliss, but Evelyn. And I absolutely adore the name Evelyn.
.
But as it turns out, she IS Bliss. She was smiling at 4 weeks and belly laughing at 3 months. Total and complete Bliss. She is happy. She is a dancer. I have stolen moves from her and done them in my aerobics class. Happy to laugh. Happy to do ANYTHING with her 'Sissy'. She dives into your arms and gives the most baby-breathed, chin sticking out kisses, that melt your heart. She loves the party. Actually, she IS the party. Her adorable attitude on life convicts me... to take things more lightly and rest in the knowledge that God is in control. She trusts. She loves UNABASHEDLY. She wakes up delighted and wants to immediately see whatever members of the family are not in the room getting her out of the crib. Sure, she cries. She fusses. But it's usually when she is being left alone, little extravert. She's an adorer. And yet, it is SHE that is adorable.
I almost want to change her name and start calling her Bliss. Doubt Bri will fall for that one.
.
But I am so amazed that God entrusted this special girl to our lives. I feel SO incredibly HONORED that God chose me and Brian to raise her and call her our daughter.I am convicted. About this video.... If you don't want to be challenged. DON'T watch it. If, you do...watch out.
All around me, I am being seriously confronted with what God obviously wants me to GET. Right now. Read what God says about giving, serving and caring for HIM.

When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory.

All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?

When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink,

I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Matthew 25:31-46

I desire. I want to be passionate about the poor. I feel completely helpless to do this without God. I want to be in the life of those who not only need food, clothing, shelter, but Jesus. Everyone is made in the very image and likeness of God. Therefore, like the verses above say, when we do for the least of these, we do for God himself. The Sovereign God, who is above all and spoke all into existance, who is Eternal and Just and never changing. Yea. HIM. So now, Brian and I are convicted. again. I know God is going to ask big stuff. It makes me want to wet my pants in nerviousness. But I also know we are called to this. That is all I have to hear. God commands us to love and give and Serve the poor. Poor in spirit. Poor in wealth. Poor this month. Poor even just this month. wow.
.
I want for my girls to know that key in loving God is honoring Him and serving Him. I want them to learn to pour their lives out for others by watching their parents do it. They do what you do, not what you say. So there is my challenge. God wants me to give, because what I do for the least I do for Him. Even if it is dirty, smelly, challenging, inconvenient, tiring. And God, the perfect, righteous, omniscient One, will feel that I have done it for Him...
Happy Birthday Dinner with friends....

All the essentials...good food, good friends...
laughter...
and a 4 hour dinner! Sunday afternoon.










4 comments:

gillian said...

first of all, i can't believe there is a baby in that TINY belly of yours!!!

secondly, your girls are so precious...just like their momma!

thirdly... my heart, soul, mind, body, spirit, has been challenged by that video too. I want to reach out to those who feel like they are unreachable...I just don't know where to start! It makes me nervous, excited, scared, but at the same time thrilled at what God is putting on my heart, a chance to make a difference, for others, for Him, for my children, and even for me. Would love to get some ideas from you!

Susan McInville said...

What a challenge! This is a lesson in itself. Thank you for your inspiration.

Susan McInville said...

What a challenge! This is a lesson in itself. Thank you for your inspiration.

Brandi said...

You and the girls look absolutely beautiful. LOVE IT!!