Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Her name means 'ALIVE'!

We've decided on a name. Really, we decided 8 months ago on a name, but we needed 8 months to mull it over. I think honestly, we thought there would eventually be another name that we would put up against it and then examine the two names side by side and go with the first name after all. But the second name never came.

I mean never came, like. Never mentioned another one.

Even though we've had 4 girls in 5 years. Brian and I have never opened a baby name book. Never looked at lists online. Never sat down and made lists of baby names. EVER.
~
GRACE was named because she is our gift from God. God gave us HIS GRACE. A supernatural outpouring given us while we walked through the valley of the shadow of death in 2005. Grace and truth that came from Jesus Christ.
"But he said to me, 'My Grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9
.
CARLISLE was named for her great-grandmother born in 1907, whose last name was Carlisle and grandmother, whose middle name was Carlisle.
.
EVELYN was named when Brian and I were college sweethearts! Doing what lovebirds do. Sitting on my front porch in Charleston, over looking Colonial Lake, talking about the future...about getting married, who the bridesmaids and groomsmen would be, what we would name our children....We still have no clue how Carlisle ended up the being named Carlisle before Evelyn. Always thought Evelyn would be the first one.
.
So that brings us to our fourth girl name...

It really is the name that fits in our family better than any name I've ever even heard. Simply put, we know this is our daughters name. It is HER name. The name that I have refered to her as, for months and months and months. Obviously, we adore old-fashioned sounding names and adore strong feminine names. This name rested on the top 100 name chart in the (get this) 1920's.

Another confirmation....It means ALIVE.

V I V I A N
I just absolutely love it! It's like in Middle school when you have a crush on the boy. You write his name all over your notebook....That's how I feel! I just love seeing it written. I love saying it. I love hearing the girls say it.

Of course we ran it past both Evelyn and Carlisle.
They absolutely love the name.
They love her new room (pictures to come)
but most importantly...
they love HER.
With the addition of this sweet baby, MY baby,
Evelyn
becomes a 2-yr-old BIG SISTER.
Hard for me to believe. Big sister Evelyn pronounces Vivian.... 'Olivian'. A combination of their friend Olivia and Vivian.
Feeling way, very, over-the-top, thrilled with big sisters Hannah Montana sunglasses...


3 comments:

gillian said...

such a beautiful, unique name! love it!!! and how cute is big sis Evelyn in those glasses! haven't seen you in forever, hope you and your precious family are doing well!!!

Julie and Luke said...

These pics of Evelyn are WONDERFUL!!!

Christyn said...

Loved reading about your names! And I love Vivian! It's beautiful as I know she will be!