Sunday, June 20, 2010

Our 10th, A Spiritual Retreat

How great is this treasure that I just found?
It was in a love note from a friend I really respect.
It was printed across the front of the card.
GOD IS WITH YOU.
But there's more.
That's just an exerpt from the passage in the book of Zephaniah.
In my bible, the whole entire book of Zephaniah takes up 3 pages. It's written by a dude named Zephaniah. And I love what he had to say.
'The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing.'
Zephaniah 3:17
~
Angel baby is the first to suck her thumb. The FIRST.
And I absolutely love it.
We all four just think she looks SO cute doing it. And she loves it so much.
I know what you want to say. It probably won't look quite as cute when she's 7. But she's not 7. She's 4 months old.
And we love it.
I miss blogging. I really really miss it.
It gives me a chance to clear my head of all the things that roll around in it when I am not blogging. It's like when I slam on the brakes and everything that the girls have piled inbetween them in the backseat flies forward and hits the back of my seat. It's kind of like that.
I miss prosessing all that God is teaching me. All that I am reading and all that is going on. Occasionally, when I do get to blog it's like I slam on the brakes and everything that is rolling around in my head hits the back of the computer! It all makes since to me...hopefully you too...or maybe just to me and my Mom.
Carlisle prays. She likes to. She has a habit of starting every prayer with...'Heavenly Father, thank you for ME, ...' and then she goes on to list a few people that make the short list. 99% of the time Jesus makes it on her short list.
Although, she prayed over the meal tonight at our couples biblestudy and it went like this: 'Heavenly Father. Thank you for ME, Mommy and Daddy. But MOST OF ALL...thank you for Evelyn.'
Jesus didn't make the cut. Nor did Vivian. But, God knows her heart. And if that baby loves anyone, it's Jesus.
I hate to correct her about her prayers. So I don't. It's not for me to judge her prayers. And God already knows her heart. But I wonder what exactly God thinks of her prayers that start with 'Thank you for me.'
Prayer is simply a conversation between us and God.
You don't have to bend your knees, although you can.
You don't have to bow your head-you can look up to heaven.
You can pray with your eyes open. Or closed.
Hands clasped like a child, or up in praise.

You can pray as you drive your car, as you wash your dishes or as you take a walk. You can make your life a continual conversation with God. And as we commune with God, Jesus will intercede for us! He'll cover all the things that we meant to cover, but didn't. 'Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.' Hebrews 7:25
My dude. You know, the one I am madly in love with...and a small bit obsessed with? Well, he and I left the three girls and ran off for a three night/four day anniversary trip/spiritual retreat to Charleston to celebrate TEN years of marriage.
I lived in Charleston for 5 years and every visit I still discover something new. Like the little hotel we stayed at on Wentworth Street. Never noticed it.
It was perfect.
We checked in, and within one hour, he had wisked me off for a 90 minute couples massage.
And now we have begun our eleventh year of marriage. It falls right around Fathers Day every year. How could I have possibly known what he would have been like as a father when I met him in college? Impossible. I knew that he was tall, a leader, smart, handsome. That he played football and I thought he was over the top handsome. (oops mentioned that already...)
Had I known then, what I know now, I would have undoubtedly skipped the most sweet, precious years of our marriage.
For five years we had no babies.
We traveled the world together...
We hiked volcanos in Costa Rica, toured cathedrals in Rome, ate the most terrific gnocchi in Florence, sailed through the Panama Canal, walked the perimeter at Stonehenge, fished a tiny lake in Germany, dove with sting rays in the british west indies and zillions of other adventures.
I would have missed all of those experiences...for sure. Because, had I known what a stellar job he would do as Father, I would have jumped in as soon as I could.
~
When we first got married I'd say to him, 'Where you go, I go. And where I go, you go.' It was my goofy way of expressing to him how excited it made me that we never had to be apart. That we would be traveling this road of life together. Forever.
I still feel that way today. I love the adventure of my life with you Brian. Just BEING with YOU is all I need. No matter where.
Where you go, I go.
It was a spiritual retreat. Hanging out at the rooftop pool felt like we were gluttonous. No one to watch, or chase, or keep afloat, or slather with sunscreen, except ourselves. But Jesus met us there. I learned more about Him this weekend.
We listened to an outstanding, commanding, and very life changing audiobook. Go out and get a copy today. http://www.theholeinourgospel.com/ Inspiring.
~
Buddy.
Happy 10th Anniversary.
Happy Fathers Day.
Jesus' best gift to me... is, and will always be,...YOU.
~

No comments: