Saturday, August 20, 2011

God and The Edwards HOMESCHOOL

'Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.' Deuteronomy 6:5-7
I started Homeschool with Carlisle this week. We are 5 days in. And the fruit of being obedient to the Lord is being revealed already.
2 years ago, plain as day, God laid on my heart, 'Jennie, Homeschool your children.' And he didn't ask me. He told me. At the time, I had a one-and-a-half-year-old and a three-year-old.
I basically said, 'That is not for me....I don't.....think....' But something in me knew that IT WAS.
And that I WOULD.
The Holy Spirit spoke. God himself, through the Holy Spirit and stated. 'Yes, Young Mama. You WILL.'
'All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for TEACHING, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness...' 2 Timothy 3:16
That day, I realized it had become a bona fide calling on my life.
I wanted to run. But where was I going to hide from God? Good grief.
I panicked. A little.
First thought: 'What is BRIAN going to think? He is for sure going to think this is nuts.'
And that day, 2 years ago, when I approached him, he said, 'No way Jennie....no way.'
SO, like a good mediator, I went back to God.
I prayed that the Lord would either change Brian's heart, or make it clear that He himself...God of the Universe....had made a little error. It was in fact the neighbor, or another family he had meant to talk to....perhaps He had me confused with my identical twin Sister? And it was SHE who was supposed to Homeschool.
Over the next years, GOD CHANGED BRIAN'S HEART. IN A BIG WAY.
Not like: 'Oh yea Jennie. I guess if you want to....' NO WAY.
More like: 'Jennie, I want to help with school. I am going to take the morning off one day a week so that I can be there to teach.'
WHAT?!?!?
Victory and HUGE confirmation that God had spoken to us both.
So, God changed Brian. Like 180 degrees. RADICAL change. I love when God reveals himself like that. I prayed for a change. Boo-Yaw. Huge change. The two of us are so fired up about this!
Curriculum was ordered earlier in the summer and has arrived. Now, fast forward to this week. The girls are EXCITED about their Homeschool room. New IKEA bookshelves, cute table, sharpened pencils, map of the US on the wall.... (will have pics for next time) and I have PRAYED like a banshee.
Day 5 is over. It's Saturday, I ask Carlisle what she thought about week one, she says, 'I loved it! I loved when Daddy teached Homeschool.' (yes, we will be covering grammar this year.) : )
But it's ME that I see changes in, not Carlisle. Although she's great. It's me. I have a brand new, never seen before understanding of the 5-year-old little Carlisle that I have lived with everyday of her LIFE. I have always done workbooks, handwriting, etc with them. I have always loved teaching her. But this? This is totally different. I really like learning about how she learns. I like her diligence. Her studious nature. Her cautiousness. Her timidity. I would have missed out on this. God is blessing my obedience in this by allowing me to get to know my little girl in a way that I never have before...in all these years. I am praising God for this opportunity.
So the summer is officially over at our house. It's been the best, and most tenderhearted, summer of my life.
Summer 2011 - flying kites, jumping in puddles, wishing on dandelions, lying in the grass, dreaming big, playing dress up, running barefoot, hosting tea parties, dancing in the rain, reaching for the stars, imagining, treading gently, sleeping soundly.
But Homeschool with my girls is looking even better.

2 comments:

hsarmiento said...

Jennie, I am so excited we will see you all every Thursday now! I know just what you mean about thinking He must be talking to someone else, it couldn't be me. So glad we decided to listen.

MadHatter said...

People told me, should have "warned" me is more like it, that HS would bring to light all of my iniquities. And it has. And I am grateful everyday. We are about 6 weeks in. I love learning my kids, like you are talking about. And this whole crazy thing is making me more in love with Jesus. Very cool stuff indeed.