Thursday, August 29, 2013

For those of you who long for help

But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, 'The LORD is great!'' Psalm 40:16


The family sweetheart. 
She doesn't walk. She could... 

She just doesn't. 

She's reminiscent of our last baby. Angel Baby. Who was content to be carried. She crawled until she was 19 months old, when she finally decided to walk. Yes, 19 months old. 

This little one is the same. She is too happy to just sit on a hip. I know those of you that have boys have absolutely ZERO capability of understanding this. My sister just stands in utter amazement. I'm not making this stuff up. Everytime I'm around Julie I say, 'See? She really isn't interested in moving. She's just content to watch the action. She's content to crawl a few inches and stop to enjoy.' 

Julie nods. And then she shakes her head in amazement.

And come to think of it, she doesn't talk much either.

She's the quintessential baby. 

And I love her for it. 

She has us all wrapped around her fat, chubby, sausage-link fingers. The girls fall over each other to hold her. She's so cool being picked up by little ones not much bigger than her. Anyone who is strong enough, is welcome to hold her, as far as she's concerned. She doesn't react. AT. ALL. Maybe all families that have kids close in age tote the baby on their hip, even when they themselves are still babies...I don't know. But in this family, my girls love babies. They feed her, help get sippy cups, clean up after her, entertain her, read to her, try to make her laugh and even change diapers.



I really don't like blanket statements. I try not to make them. I don't like pigeon hole-ing any of my girls. I hear people do it with their own children and it concerns me. 

I've had people say to me: 

'My Suzy-Q is a tomboy. She would never like something like that.'

or

'My Suzy-Q a girly girl. She only does ____. '

When we as parents tell them what they are, or who they are, WE have defined them. We have told them everything they need to know. What they are and what they will become... in our opinion. 

That's not our job as parents. 

It's probably insecurity. Mom's just trying their best. Who don't know better. But God DOES.

God has made each child soooo unique and cool and interesting. Everything is not black and white. I have learned in my years of parenting, there is a lot of gray. 

And the LORD is in charge. Not me. 

Here's water for a weary Mama-soul...

'He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.' Isaiah 40:11

I would consider it sad if I limited one of my children because of MY own insecurities or doubts or even worse, peer pressure of how the other parents are doing it. Hmmm...

I think we as Mama's LONG for help. 

Let me help you.

We have to give the reigns of child rearing back to the Lord. My kids are His anyway. YOUR kids are His anyway. He loves them SO much more than we could ever dream of. 

'I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.' Psalm 32:8

Thankfully HE leads US. So we can lead them. Whew. The pressure is gone. The one who made stars, and made starfish, and made stargazer lilies is available to us. To help us. 

'Lord, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress.' Isaiah 33:2


'He who has compassion on them will guide them and lead them beside springs of water.' Isaiah 49:10

As my girls get older I am BLOWN AWAY that God was so creative with so many different types and personalities of girls...all in one family.

So as I seek the Lord in raising these girls, I think the greatest influence I can have is not what I say...but what I DO, infront of my girls. How I talk to Brian. How I treat him. The tone I use. My body language with him. What a tall order. It's so humbling to really grasp THAT. And what do I do with my free time? Let them 'catch' you reading your bible....everyday. They won't forget. I promise you. Even when they are old and gray, THAT is something they will remember. 




These girls are learning more than 'just' surfing this week. Brian is teaching them to throw a cast net. And I'm teaching them how to cross stitch. 



 They are watching us. They are always watching us. 
Just a few more days at the beach... 
Feeling confident that somewhere in heaven there will be soft white sand and a warm breeze.

But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who long for your saving help always say, 'The LORD is great!'' Psalm 40:16

It's true. The Lord is GREAT. 

No comments: