Sunday, August 25, 2013

Surfer Girls


They want to surf. 
Not in a superficial, kind-of think-about-it way. 

They want to surf in a I'm-saving-up-my-money-to-buy-a-board kind of way. 

They have bumps, bruises and rashes to prove it this week. 

And we've only been here one day. 

They love it. 
Even her little necklace has a surf board. She's the real deal. :) 





Am I glad to know, what I know, at such a young age. God adores us. And we, are to adore Him. 

Praise God he shows us his love. Constantly. That HE is in charge. That He loves these little girls more than I EVER could. No matter how much I try. 

And I blow it. I have to apologize to my girls more than I'd ever want to admit. And they lovingly forgive. How much more our heavenly Father loves and forgives us. 


In the book of Exodus, Moses gets to talk to God. The bible says, 
'The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend.' Exodus 33:11 

Seriously. 

How cool would it be to have a conversation with God himself? 

What a honor. Moses was chosen by the Lord, for his great glory to be spoken with. Talking with God was so powerful that when Moses left the Lord's presence, stuff happened! 

First the Lord said, 'My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.'  

When we meet with the Lord, his Presence rests on us fresh. And he gives us REST. 

Want to find REST? MEET WITH THE LORD. 
And the bible also says that God came down to meet with Moses,

'And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, 'The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.' 

And THEN....

'His face was radiant because he had spoken with the Lord.' !!!!

Want to be radiant???? MEET WITH THE LORD. 

Seeing a pattern yet? :)

Today marks 1 year since my Mom went to Heaven. I would like to say it gets easier. But it would be more accurate to say it is NOT easier, just different. It's ALWAYS hard. You never stop needing or wanting your Mother, I don't think anyone could argue with that. Mothers are the only ones that are present on our birth day. Our day of birth. The one person that was there to give me life, is gone. I cry when I mention her. 

I still do now and will always miss her.

I rejoice knowing I will see her again, but I wish she was here to be a part of this life...my life...I want my girls to know her. To love her, their Grandmother.

I unabashedly love Christ. I know who I am in Him. And I know WHAT He has done for me. And HE is who rescues me from the sadness of loss. 

I got this email almost a year ago. Loved it then and love it still today as I think of just how much I loved my Mom....






  • Sweet Jennie, I've intentionally waited a little while to send this to you hoping for it to make you smile when you least expect it like it does me. 
    I wanted to let you know what a joy your Mom was to me. One of my favorite memories of your mom was at the baby shower for Carlisle at Stephanie's house. It was just a bunch of close friends of yours and Brian's. At some point, several of us went upstairs with you to feed Carlisle. The first thing you did when we got upstairs was call your Mom. I thought it was the greatest thing because you didn't call to have a private conversation with her, but you called to check in with her and then put her on speaker phone so she could be a part of our conversation. There were 4 or 5 ladies in the room and I remember thinking I would never have thought to do that with my Mom, but was so intrigued to see how it would turn out. 

    We continued talking with the phone in the middle of the bed and all of us around the bed. I almost forgot several times that your mom was still listening until you asked what she thought about something. She was just there like this intensely comforting feeling in the room. Never judging or interrupting, just sweetly listening and enjoying our conversations because you wanted her to be a part of it. I remember thinking how special that was for so many reasons. 
    This is how every interaction I always had with Mayo was. She had this everlasting comfort and kindness that radiated from her.
    I pray that this is how Mayo will always be to you and Julie and all of your incredible babies, always there sweetly listening on speaker phone and being one of your biggest and most loving supporters. I know she is still always there listening, unless maybe the gamecocks are playing. Charlie and I both think that your Mom was one of the purest most sincere and loving women on the planet. I wish she were still here on earth with us, but also understand why God would want her closer. I hope that one day I can leave this life as proudly as she did. Knowing that I have left behind two of the most loving, caring and sensational daughters and son, and the most angelic grandchildren.





She's crawling and cruising. Not walking. Not even vaguely interested. 


In other news, the girls let their turtle go last week. The turtle that we've had for over a year. Myrtle the Turtle. They wished for her a better life. And so they let her free. And one more four-legged member of our family has come and gone. 

But here at the beach, there are new animal friends to be made. Little Carlisle, the veternarian, has nursed back to health a grasshopper with a hurt leg, rescued a handful of dragonflies from certain death bumping into windows in the house, and most recently, this evening, she brought home a dozen hermit crabs. They now live in a jar on the dining room table. 




The girls enjoy playing make-believe. Typically someone is playing the part of 'Mommy' and the others are the children. 
Today, right before we left for the beach...

Evelyn to Vivian. 'Hey Viv, let's pretend we're sisters.'
Viv said, 'K.'



















'Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.' Romans 12:10


After this, Carlisle said, 'Mom, my dream has come true. I'm a surfer.' 
Find little sister, the encourager.



Evelyn is just weeks away now from her 6th birthday. She still takes my breath away with her sweet heart. She's sweet to her CORE. I said it long ago and I will say it again, she's the glue in this family. She loves on everyone so well. She plays well with everyone. She makes everyone smile. 

She's an ENCOURAGER. 

'We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach if it is to ENCOURAGE, then give ENCOURAGEMENT.' Romans 12:6-8


Dinner at the yummiest hole-in-the-wall restaurant I've ever eaten at. 80 and sunny all week. 

'The LORD will fight for you...you need only to be STILL.' Exodus 14:14

1 comment:

Love Being A Nonny said...

Love this post! Is that restaurant *Provisions* in Holden Beach, NC???