Friday, March 16, 2012

Flowers

The goodness of Spring has arrived around here. It's BEAUTIFUL. It smells different. Feels different. People act different. The flowers are blooming. It's not even just warm...some days are hot

Even to the not-pregnant mamas.
I have a basket under the kitchen sink. Inside are a dozen or more small vases for my little girls. There is even one old fashioned one that I just picked up at a consignment store. Carlisle loves it. I knew she would. It's the exact vase, but a larger version of a vintage one, that we use all the time. The one my Grandmother used to put on her breakfast table. It's probably my favorite and Carlisle's favorite too. More than any of the others, it's constantly full of little flowers. 

There are pink flowers at the sink, two vases full.  A huge bunch on the table. Dried petals sprinkled around candles in my room. All done by the girls.

One girl even filled a basket full. 'Mommy! We can use this as a center piece!' 

So here we are yesterday...  back at our secret-hideaway-wild-flower-patch just 5 minutes from our house...picking more Bradford Pears.

It's our second basket full of blooms in the last 3 days. Which makes little girls feel like squealing and skipping. And me too.


4 more days to go before Spring is officially here. But around here, the flowers, and my flower pickers are out. 
Here are many of the pickers, surrounding the old-fashioned picnic basket....also full of blooms ready for some centerpiece, or vase or a wonderful art project.


Labor is coming. My body is gearing up, therefore, so am I. 
I dream of having the kind of labors that other mothers have. 

The...Yea, I woke up at 2:25am and nudged my husband and said 'it's time'. We sped through the night, running every light and arrived just in time to see him/her born. 

Um. Sounds absolutely the way I would script it. Mine... Not so much that way. I've NEVER been a false alarm girl. I'm either in labor or NOT. 

But I guess all that is changing in the story of the birth of Eleanor Bliss. I totally thought yesterday, March 15th, was the day. The intensity of the contractions that I was feeling, was a way I have felt exactly, but ONLY, 4 other times. And those four times were on the days of the other girls births.

Yesterdays contractions were not the cute Braxton Hicks contractions that I have had for the last 3 months. Instead, these were the close-your-eyes-and-breathe-deep-for-a-long-time contractions. 

I've resigned myself to this. The true natural birthing process delights in the element of surprise. Which requires full surrender on the part of the Mother. And brings God's perfect timing and his most perfect will. 


"Every painful experience is opportunity to know the Lord Jesus better." J. White

So I am continuing to know Jesus better. 

(Pic taken by 4 year-old Evelyn)
      23  Because of the LORD’s great love we are not    consumed, for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.”
25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
26 it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the LORD.
27 It is good for a man to bear the yoke
while he is young.
Lamentations 3:23-27


But today is a new day. No contractions. Just a normal 9 months pregnant day. Which was a breath of fresh air. 
This past weekend, we went to an awesome, outdoor birthday party. They had yummy food, cake, horses, outdoor toys AND a jump castle. 

Vivian and both of her sisters were having the time of their lives in the jump castle. They were jumping and falling. The way kids do the whole time they are in a jump castle. I was staring at her when it happened. I just happened to be watching. She fell, just as she had already fallen a zillion times, laughing each time. And each time they got up and kept playing. Well, this time she didn't. 

And then she didn't play anymore. And she wouldn't put weight on one of her legs. And she wouldn't climb down off of my ever shrinking, pregnant lap. 

So, she and I spent Saturday night in the ER. No fractures as far as the ER doc could tell. She laid there so still as they took the x-rays. 
But here it is 5 days later and she still cries occasionally if she steps down just wrong. Or if someone bumps her knee. So, I took her to the Orthopedist this morning. Carlisle did some school while we waited to be seen. And Vivian did what she does best. Be a sweetie.

We have a follow up visit in a week. The Doctors are still not sure of her prognosis. 
They were awesome at the doctor. A++  Absolutely perfect. So we celebrated with chocolate sprinkled Krispi Kreme donuts, a chocolate milk to share and....

More flower picking...

No comments: