Tuesday, March 27, 2012

You are my SUNSHINE...

He always sang it to me....as a child. 'You are my Sunshine.' But also, as an adult. He was also one of those people that whistled really, really, really, really well. While he walked through the Lowe's carrying a bunch of lumber. Or...while we strolled hand in hand through a parking lot. Or while he worked on trimming the hedges. He whistled. Like a canary. Perfect pitch. With a smile in the sound. He had the kind of whistle that tickles your ears. 
I never hear that anymore. 
Whistlers. 
But HE was one. 
My Dad. 

As a child, he would come in to the room I shared with my sister, before bed. Some parents read books to their children before bed. Some say prayers. My Dad would sing to us. And sing and sing. And while he would sing, we would listen and laugh and love the attention and love of the greatest guy we ever knew...
Dad.
One of our favorites. 
You are my SUNSHINE.
'You are my sunshine. My only sunshine. You make me happy. When skies are gray. You'll never know dear, how much I love you.'
But then, he changed the last verse. He didn't like the negativity. 
He would sing. 
'You're my sunshine all the day.'
My girls refer to it as the 'Punkin Song'. HIS song.

I found this awesome art in Savannah, GA a few months ago. It makes me tender, and reminds me of my Dad. So I got it. 

It's the hardest I have ever heard my girls laugh. The longest they've ever played the three of them together. HOURS of entertainment. 

A spring time SPRINKLER.







This morning, with a cup of hot green tea and my bible, the Lord showed me THIS. 

Psalm 36: 5-12

5 Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the skies.
6 Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains,
your justice like the great deep.
O LORD, you preserve both man and beast.
7 How priceless is your unfailing love!
Both high and low among men
find refuge in the shadow of your wings.
8 They feast on the abundance of your house;
you give them drink from your river of delights.
9 For with you is the fountain of life;
in your light we see light.
10 Continue your love to those who know you,
your righteousness to the upright in heart.
11 May the foot of the proud not come against me,
nor the hand of the wicked drive me away.
12 See how the evildoers lie fallen—
thrown down, not able to rise!


Vivian, enjoying a quiet moment on the back porch. She's a little slow to wake up most mornings...It was a Saturday morning. The sun was bright, we had no where to be. She was taking in the sounds of the ducks and birds when...all of a sudden...
 Sweet little, minding her own business Vivian... got 'Ev'ed'. Evelyn is actually a verb, a noun and an adjective. 


 
I call Evelyn the 'glue' of our family.  

And introducing the newest member of our family ...
Nope. 
Not a new sister...
it's...
Myrtle.

Take a look how special God made Myrtle. He....no SHE (just informed), is GORGEOUS.
Carlisle, Brian and Evelyn were fishing late one afternoon. 

Brian said the water was nearly 10 feet deep in this particular area. A patch of grass went floating by the boat. He said it was a small patch. No larger than the palm of his hand. 

Carlisle said, 'Daddy!!! A baby turtle!!!'

Brian said, 'Can't be Carlisle.' And he looked over the edge of the boat. 

And there she was. 

Myrtle. 

Helplessly clinging to her patch of grass. 

She was a sitting duck/turtle to any fish or bird who needed a really cute snack.

But her tides changed.  

Instead she got scooped up in a net and brought home in a lunch box. 

To be loved on, held and taken care of forever. 

It turns out, Carlisle is a little Brian. I hear from Brian's Mom that when he was a little boy, they had lots of wild animals. 

I had to tally...more for me, than for anything, the wild animals that have lived in our home since Carlisle was old enough to walk and collect all of her favorite little creepy crawly friends.  
2 cats
1 dog
2 tadpoles
2 beta fish
1 minnow
1 praying mantis
1 baby duck
lots of tree frogs
a spider that the tree frog wouldn't eat
lots of crickets
Most recently.
A baby turtle

The lady at the pet store said they live to be 25 years old. 

25 what? 'Um. Brian did she say YEARS?'

'Uh hum.' 

I don't think there's any going back now. 



1 comment:

gillian said...

y'all are so precious!